Inversion is used statements for the sake of
- achieving dramatic effect
- and in Formal Language as well.
In Inversion negative adverbial words and phrases are placed at the beginning of a sentence.
The subject comes before the verb and the word order is reversed.
In this case we use the question form of the verb, even though the sentence is not a queston.
With the Simple tenses ( as Present Simple & Past Simple) we add the Auxilliary DO.
Words and phrases that can be followed by Inversion:
1. expressions with NEVER ( NEVER, NEVER BEFORE, NEVER AGAIN)
Never did I think I'd end up becoming a teacher!
2. some expressions with ( NO SOONER.......than, NO LONGER, NOWHERE, NOT UNTIL, NOT ONLY .......but, NEITHER .......nor)
No sooner had I taken one exam than I had to start preparing for the next one.
3. expressions with ONLY ( ONLY WHEN, ONLY THEN, ONLY LATER)
Only when I noticed the time did I realize I had made a terrible mistake.
4. some negative adverbs( SCARCELY, HARDLY, BARELY, RARELY, SELDOM, LITTLE.........
Rarely do students appreciate the importanve of systematic revision.
After Formlar Expressions:
Under no circumstances will cheating be toletared.
On no account should you disclose personal details in emails.
At no time are the books to be removed from the library.
- Predavač: Светлана Стојановић